Pimento and cream cheese scalloped corn is a delicious and unique twist on a classic side dish that is perfect for any occasion. The combination of sweet corn, tangy pimentos, and creamy cheese creates a flavor that is sure to impress your family and guests. It is also a simple recipe to prepare, making it a great option for busy weeknights or holiday gatherings when you want to save time without sacrificing taste. In this blog post, we will explore the recipe for pimento and cream cheese scalloped corn in more detail, including the ingredients required, step-by-step instructions, serving suggestions, and health benefits.
Corn gets baked in a creamy sauce with pimentos, red onions, cream cheese and cheddar that is topped off with a crunchy panko crumb topping. Pimentos are those red peppers you find in the middle of olives, they’re sweet and mild and perfect paired with corn.
I know everyone has squash and pumpkins on their mind right now but corn is still in season and deserves some attention. I’m not tired of it at all. I pulled this one from my archives, a big collection of recipes, a few years worth, that I never posted. Most will never see the light of day. Some are test recipes for a cookbook, others aren’t noteworthy enough, and then there’s the sucky picture category.
This probably falls in the last category because it’s definitely post worthy. It’s kind of like baked creamed corn and is absolutely delicious.
Fresh-off-the-cob corn works best here or thawed, frozen corn. You can find the pimentos in jars by the olives. If you can’t find them you can use roasted red peppers instead.
Don’t be shy with the black pepper. In case you didn’t know, corn loves black pepper, it really makes the flavors come alive.
This is the greatest type of comfort food!
Vegetables + cheese for the win.
Here are some serving suggestions for Pimento and Cream Cheese Scalloped Corn:
- As a side dish: This dish is the perfect side dish for any Southern-inspired meal, such as fried chicken or barbecue ribs.
- For holiday meals: This dish is a great addition to holiday meals, especially during Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- Potluck or party dish: This dish is great for potlucks or parties, as it can be made in advance and reheated easily.
- Brunch item: This dish is also great for brunch, as it can be served with eggs, bacon, and toast.
- Vegetarian main dish: This dish can also be made into a vegetarian main dish by omitting the bacon and using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Topping for baked potatoes: The creamy and flavorful scalloped corn can be used as a topping for baked potatoes, making for a quick and easy meal.
- Soup or chili accompaniment: Serve this scalloped corn alongside a hearty soup or chili for a complete and satisfying meal.
These are just a few ideas for serving Pimento and Cream Cheese Scalloped Corn. The possibilities are endless, so feel free to get creative and try it with your favorite dishes.
Health Benefits for Pimento and Cream Cheese Scalloped Corn:
Pimento and Cream Cheese Scalloped Corn is a delicious and indulgent side dish that is perfect for special occasions or holiday meals. While it may not be the healthiest dish due to its rich and creamy ingredients, there are a few potential health benefits to consider.
First, corn is a good source of fiber, which is important for maintaining healthy digestion and regulating blood sugar levels. It also contains several vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, thiamin, and folate. Additionally, pimento peppers are a good source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which can help protect cells from damage and reduce inflammation.
While cream cheese and heavy cream are high in calories and fat, they also contain essential nutrients like calcium and vitamin D. Moderation is key when it comes to indulgent dishes like Pimento and Cream Cheese Scalloped Corn, but it can still be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet.
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus more greasing the pan
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped pimentos
- salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 + 1/4 cups milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 + 1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 cups corn
- 2 tablespoons panko crumbs (Japanese bread crumbs)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch baking pan or casserole dish.
In a large frying pan melt the butter over medium-low heat and add the onion and pimentos with a dash of salt and pepper. Cook until the onions soften about 5 minutes.
Sprinkle the flour over them and stir it in. Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring often.
Slowly stir in the milk, turn the heat up a little and bring to a simmer.
Place the cream cheese in a small bowl and stir in a few spoons of the hot milk to temper it.
Turn the heat down to low and add the cream cheese to the pan with 3/4 cup of the cheddar.
Stir until they're both melted. Add about 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
Remove from heat and stir in the corn.
Pour it into the prepared pan and top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and panko crumbs.
Bake 25 - 30 minutes. Let set 5 minutes before serving.
Leave a Reply